Tuesday 6 September 2011

3 days and counting...

Firstly, welcome to my blog! My aim is to keep friends and family updated with comments and photos from my grand Canadian adventure. I was lucky enough to be accepted onto the International Experience Canada (IEC) programme earlier in the year and, after what seems like a life-time, I'm now counting down the final few hours before I fly out to Vancouver.

I'm going to be flying from Gatwick to Vancouver on Friday with my good pal, Mark Jones, and we're booked to stay at the SameSun Backpackers Lodge in the heart of the city for the first week. From what I've heard and read the Samesun will be pretty lively and I might not be getting much sleep for the first few nights. However, I know I've got to keep myself organised and try to find a place to live and a job as quickly as possible, so I can't spend all my time partying!

Soon to be home...
 
A few days ago this article appeared on the BBC News website (much to the amusement of my friend, Mark Stephenson, who was quick to claim that the city had dropped in the rankings because they'd heard I was coming. Thanks mate!). After seeing the article, I decided to make it my mission to only leave the city once it's reached the #1 spot again! :)

On a more serious note though, my initial plan is to get a job in Vancouver for 9/10 months and then travel east across Canada in the last few weeks before flying home. Having said that, I'm going to try to keep as flexible as possible and keep as many options open as I can across the 12 months. Who knows what the future will bring? We'll see how close to my initial plan I came in September 2012!

Anyway, a couple of hours ago I purchased my insurance for the year, so aside from ironing my clothes and packing my bags I'm all set. I can't wait to get my first glimpse of the Canadian landscape and immerse myself into Vancouver life.

Anyone who wants to keep in contact can email me, tweet me or simply comment on any of my posts here. Take care guys! Wish me luck!

Love you all!
Simon x

1 comment:

  1. Good job setting this up mate. Look forward to reading more about your adventures in due course.

    Aaron x

    ReplyDelete